Standing in line for a $5 cup of coffee is not very appealing especially during a pandemic, and the pods for making it at home are expensive and wasteful. But that fragrant brew is hard to resist. If you aren’t happy without a gourmet cuppa coffee, follow these tips for making barista-quality coffee at home and keep more money in your pocket:
- Grind your own coffee beans. This is the most important step if you want a truly fresh cup of coffee. Invest in your own grinder, and for best results, store the beans in an airtight container. Grind the beans less than 30 minutes before you brew for the freshest taste.
- Use a scale instead of a scoop. Weighing your coffee will ensure you use the same amount each time. Once you find the perfect ratio of coffee to water for your taste, you will have consistent results.
- Test different brewing methods. If your drip coffee-maker just isn’t doing it for you, try a different process. The French press is popular among coffee lovers and is affordable. The pour-over method is one of the simplest, and some say it produces the best-tasting coffee when done correctly.
- Use a better filter. Bargain brands don’t make the best brew. Look for the words “oxygen-bleached” or “dioxin-free.”
- Keep it clean. It may not be on your mind first thing in the morning, but clean brewing equipment makes the best cup. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to keep yours sparkling.
An initial investment in some basic equipment can translate to savings over a daily coffee shop ritual. When you control the brewing process, the taste can also be adjusted to your palate.
With a little experimentation and practice, you can start brewing barista-quality coffee at home in no time. Check out Blue365’s nutrition deals to save on healthy ways to enjoy life’s simple pleasures.
As a member of Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield you have access to Blue365® at no cost. Blue365 offers exclusive health and wellness deals, keeping you healthy and happy, every day of the year. Click here to sign up today or You can also sign into your My Blueprint account to access Blue365 deals.